This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

mbtiles support

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I downloaded it and installed with ArcMap. Really a good utility :).

I come across a site mapbox.com with plenty of maps in mbtiles format. Is there any possibility incorporate them in the ArcMap?. I shall be thankful if there any way to achieve it. Thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Edited Sep 7, 2011 at 11:52 PM

yes this is an interesting idea... it shouldn't be too difficult to add support for MBTiles, i'll do some research

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:33 AM

bertt, thanks a lot for the reply. I am in Iraq now and the there exists an Iraq map in the mbtiles format via http://mapbox.com/#/tileset/iraq. Here the internet connection is somewhat slow. Appreciate if I can get a way to run .mbtiles format locally (after downloading it from the mapbox website). Under the ArcBruTileMenu in ArcGIS there exists add TMSservice and there is also a mapbox service but here in Iraq I could not load it . I am using ArcBruTile to access the Bing Maps and OpenStreetmap and it's great.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:38 AM
Edited Sep 9, 2011 at 8:43 AM

i've added the iraq mapservice to the TMS mapbox services (see picture). Does this mapservice work? 

it should look like this:

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Thanks a lot for the promptly response. It works but it takes some what long time to load due to my slow internet connection http://www.speedtest.net/result/1473099294.png . Is there any way I can load the mbtiles file locally? Appreciate if this can be done.

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM

with this speed it will take you about 12 hours to download the complete Iraq Mbtiles dataset (1500MB)...

for a quick solution: ArcBruTile uses local caching for tiles you've already retrieved. By default, after 1 day new tiles are retrieved. You can change this setting with the 'tileTimeout' parameter in the config file (see documentation)

if you want to use MBTiles locally in ArcMap with ArcBruTile this is not possible now but I'll put it on the work items list.