This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Save as pdf or JPG in ArcGIS 9.3 yet not show Bing Maps aerial and mbtiles map

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Hi,

I am facing a problem that ArcGIS is not saving the Bing maps aerial imagery or mbtiles format (checked with Iraq mbtiles) map when I try to save the map as pdf or JPG in ArcGIS. Although they display correctly on the screen. I try to print it with dopdf virtual printer as well which also resulted same the result. However openstreetmap and also bing roads maps does allow to save as a pdf file. However there seems to be some gaps in the upper part of the map and also at the bottom part of the map when I use the open street map. I shall be thankful if this could be sorted out. Is this issue related to the version I have (do I need to apply any 9.3 Service Packs?) or something to do with the extension?. Thanks in advance.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM

i've tested in 10.1 and export to pdf with the iraq mapbox service works. So my best guess it's got something to do with ArcGIS versions.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Try decreasing the dpi of the PDF in the ArcGIS export dialog. Try something really low and increase from there. I've experienced that problem as well.

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM

did you save the layer as mxd correctly, when I open mxd after saved,that got warning  'Object reference not set to an instance of an object'

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:28 AM
Edited Mar 6, 2015 at 12:28 AM
My problem was that the map looked fine in the screen, but the PDF export showed me nothing but gray boxes with a X inside. The solution provided dy dillmoody was totally right, thanks.